Monday, June 21, 2010

What kind of seizure is this?

After months and months, I was finally able to catch this seizure on video (47 seconds into the video). I have no clue what type it is -if it's not a spasm. I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable can help me figure this out because my description to our epi hasn't resulted in a definitive answer.

Also, check out how Austin grabs at his right leg about 30 seconds before the seizure. This is typical as is the way he slaps his right hand (in another video I'll post soon). Another thing I've noticed and been trying to catch is the change in his left eye after these seizures. I know it appears to be the helmet, because when I take it off in the video, it looks normal again. I think this is just a coincidence because his eye does this with or without his helmet on. I'm curious what's causing this. I've noticed changes in the appearance of his eye since his diagnosis. I always thought it was nothing, until lately when it started getting more pronounced. The eye may be difficult to spot...the video quality is awful.


4 comments:

Colby said...

I wish I could help you...I have seen so many types both @ Colby's school and on the internet...It is so hard to distinguish one from another at times, especially when the movements are subtle...I'll be interested to see what the others think and also to see your other video...

I've got some video to post as well...I just can't figure out how to get the darn thing done! (I have some on a VCR videotape and then some on my new digital camera hard drive...Maybe one day I'll be able to figure it out...It shows the progression of Colby's seizures from about 5-6 years ago to the present...)

Hang in there...I'm sure some of our smarter parents can help!

Cyndi

Sophie's Story by Elaine said...

I don't have an answer for you. The first thing that popped into my head was simple partial. Him grabbing his leg...maybe that is an aura.

Have you made a medication change lately? I know seizure meds are suppose to stop seizures but Sophie would sometimes develop different types of seizures on different meds.

It was heartbreaking to see that. You are never far from my thoughts. I wish I had more answers for you.

JSmith5780 said...

It certainly appears like a "startle" but maybe it is a partial and his leg (and hand slapping) are his aura like Elaine said. Have you sent this to the neuro?

Holli said...

Thanks guys for checking it out for me. I haven't sent it to the neuro yet -I caught it yesterday and wanted to get a few more of the atypical behaviors and compile them. I'll try to post the hand slapping today -it's at an all time high. It seems like it's bothering him more and more.