Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Because sometimes I gotta blame someone...

Other than myself, of course. At least every once in a while. I admit, I have been distracted this past week. Very. For reasons I won't get into. But, because I think I deserve a little slack occasionally, my blame game goes something like this: Thank you, OT lady. Thank you for letting Austin mouthe every toy you handed him, despite my disapproval. It wasn't so much lead paint and choking hazards I was concerned about, although those are certainly valid reasons for concern. I know I'm protective and sometimes neurotic about Austin and germs and kids DO need their little immune systems to build up a tolerance. BUT, can you blame me for wanting to avoid any more complications and unnecessary illnesses when we're barely treading water here as it is? The last two times Austin's been he's gotten sick. He's NEVER sick. And when he is, we typically have to let it run its course and treat only with Tylenol and natural remedies. No antihistamines for this kiddo. Nope, he has a low tolerance for seizures, which make these a no-no. Tylenol, Lil' Noses, and Vicks Baby Rub are our only arsenal against the nasty colds. Which, can be quite an ordeal when your child still hasn't mastered the skill of blowing his nose. Every surface he touches becomes covered in drool because he doesn't want to swallow and snot because he smears it everywhere. And don't think I'm ranting because he happens to have his second cold in just a month. I wouldn't freak over that. Austin tends to have eczema flare ups during the slightest illness. A cold included. He's been scratching, scratching, and SCRATCHING. You should see the kid's back. Can anyone tell where this is going? Let's see, partially healed incision + scratching = INFECTION. Not fun. At all. This boy is never out of my sight, therefore you'd think nothing like that could escape my attention. Regardless whether I should have seen the beginnings of a problem. So, I've beat myself down enough over the last two months (or three years), I'm choosing to pass it off this time.

4 comments:

Sophie's Story by Elaine said...

So sorry. The scratching drives me absolutely CRAZY!!! It's like nails on the chalkboard to me. Sophie has eczema too. We use hydrocortisone ointment. Since we use so much of it I try to use the lowest strength possible unless there is a major flare up. Target pharmacy can order .5% ointment (that's the only place I could find it at that low of a strength). Hope he feels better soon.

devon said...

Blame away momma! So sorry he is sick again! I was thinking that the other day when you texted. I remember him being sick like once in forever. Praying for you guys!

blogzilly said...

10 pounds of suck in a 5 pound bag. Sorry about this. Have you taken this up with the OT? If not, you should. It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that you voice your intense concern over what you feel with any and all therapists who have anything to do with Austin.

Don't stand on ceremony. IF you have to, switch therapists. You do not have to accept that from a therapist. If you have given a specific directive, and it is not being followed, you bring the thunder and you bring it hard...and yeah, you are ABSOLUTELY in the right to be concerned about him shoving unknown plastic items in his mouth, especially if he is a chewer.

I cleared the grandparents house of every toy I had given them that I had worked on (the collectible stuff) while I was 'courting' their daughter since Jen's Mom was a fan of all that stuff, since much of it was laying around loose in the play area where Bennett would be. That stuff shouldn't even be near his SKIN, let alone his mouth.

So yeah, be afraid and concerned about it and make a stink. Even if it is only germs that concern you, that in and of itself is enough of a reason too.

Danielle said...

((((((((hugs)))))))))

Passing the buck is SO much easier in theory than reality...

I can't wrap my mind around why I'm SO addicted to self loathing? Ugh.

And of course, you don't really need me to tell you that you're an amazing mom. But I will anyway.

...danielle